Metairie, La.-based developer Beau Baudier plans to renovate a circa-1914, three-story commercial building on East Travis Street that has been largely unused in recent memory.
The developer plans to convert the former office space into 16 short-term rental “guest rooms” along with two retail spaces presumably on the ground level, according to documents filed with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. The filing describes the units as “transient, short-term rentals.”
Baudier of Design Engineering Inc. did not respond to an interview request. Welty Architecture LLC, also based in Metairie, which is part of the New Orleans metropolitan area, is listed as the architect.
The building was built in 1914 and designed by Atlee B. Ayers for the San Antonio Light newspaper, according to city records. Baudier purchased the building from San Antonio developer James Lifshutz last year.
The renovation is expected to cost $3.5 million. According to the filing, work was expected to begin this month and be finished by September 2021.
For the longest time, a sign that read “Beauty College” still hung on the facade, a specter of one of the historic structure’s former tenant.
The Baudier-Welty team recently renovated a structure similar in size in downtown New Orleans into apartments.
This year, the Bexar Appraisal District assessed the building, which is listed as a local landmark, at $1.4 million.
2022 NewsMatchHelp the Heron UNLOCK $15,000 from a coalition of NewsMatch funders by Dec. 31.
Prefer to mail a check? Please make payable to:
San Antonio Heron
The Rand Building
110 E. Houston St. 7FL
San Antonio, Texas, 78205